Thursday, May 9, 2013

pattern vs. product

For the past year or so, I have been contemplating selling pattern PDF's instead of my finished products. Now that Etsy has recently announced a new delivery method for digital files here, I am super motivated to get the ball rolling.


I am NOT a graphic designer, so I've got a lot of learning to do. I do know that you need a vector drawing program, like Illustrator, to create patterns digitally. I recently purchased the Classroom in a Book for the Illustrator we have.  I've done basic website templates before and learned how to edit the html all on my own. So I feel fairly comfortable in learning new computer tricks. I think I can, I think I can! Right?

Well, so far I just finished the most important chapter that will help me create my patterns into a digital PDF: the pen tool chapter. In case you didn't know, the pen tool can be used to take a scanned image of a drawing or pattern and convert it into a digital format. This is the backbone of digital pattern making. Once I have the pattern converted, I just have to add the instructions and pictures, etc. I still have a LOT of practice to do, but I feel way better than before I started. I actually feel like I can do it!





Here is a very rough draft of a hedgehog I drew with the pen tool. First, I scanned my drawing and then used the pen tool to "trace" the outline. Obviously, it's not done yet. I still have to add the face and body details, and fine tune the curves and lines, but it's getting there! I am so proud though!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE making things and get great satisfaction from it. But what if I could spend a lot of time and effort into a digital file now and then have the opportunity to kind of sit back and reap the rewards? It just seems that almost everyone is a crafter these days, maybe I am in the wrong market of selling finished products. Maybe I would be more successful at selling sewing and embroidery patterns. I know there are lots of etsy sellers doing the same thing. I guess it's worth a try!

What do you think? Would you be more interested in my patterns or would you rather buy my finished product?


4 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm right there with you, Michelle, learning how to create PDF patterns with Illustrator. Whew! It's a tough climb, but so necessary. (Have fun!!!)

Michelle Griesel said...

Whoa, really!? Yes, it's a challenge. The hardest part for me is finding the time. Good luck! Let's keep each other motivated!

Sam and Gail said...

Just found you, but thought I would add my 2 cents anyway: both. Time after time, I hear sewists say, oh I could make that myself (if only the pattern were available)... and the wannabes and non-sewists ALWAYS say, if anybody will make me one, I will pay you. Two different markets, and they both find blogs/stores like yours.

Happy stitching! Gail at 2createincolor.com

Michelle G said...

Gail, you are SO right! There really are 2 markets. I just need to decide which one, or maybe both!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...